DNP Commended for Worker Friendly Innovations in the Worksite
Healthy mental healthcare promotions top the list
Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) actively promotes mental healthcare, and is pleased to announce that at a ceremony to held on December 18, 2014, will receive a commendation from The Kenko Ikiiki shokuba zukuri (Healthy and Active Workplace Promotion) Forum, as a company promoting the creation of workplaces where employees can work in a healthy and active manner.
The Kenko Ikiiki shokuba zukuri (Healthy and Active Workplace Promotion) Forum was established in December 2012 by the Japan Productivity Center, and the Department of Mental Health, Graduate School of Medicine, the University of Tokyo. The forum's objective is to broadly disseminate in Japan concepts and concrete policies related to the creation of healthy and active workplaces, and to support productivity improvements at companies, along with the promotion of the mental and physical health of the employees who work there.
A commendation system honoring companies actively engaged in the creation of workplaces where employees can work in a healthy and active manner was established in 2014, and six companies, including DNP, received commendations in the first year of operation.
The appraisal standards for the commendations are as follows;
- Organizational heads declaring the promotion of workplace creation where employees can work in a healthy and active manner, and engaging in the provision of concrete support towards that creation.
- Linkage between the activities involved in the creation of workplaces where employees can work in a healthy and active manner, and organizational targets.
- Activities being promoted under a PDCA cycle.
- The existence of concrete activities contents.
- Activities being quantitatively and periodically appraised.
[DNP Group Activities]
Apart from the implementation of periodic health checks for Group employees, DNP also uses network learning, pamphlets and original DVDs to promote self-awareness of mental health among employees. For managers, the Company also implements network learning, and group training in order to encourage concern for mental health among their staff. The Company has also introduced corporate leave and vacation systems for those facing mental health challenges, along with vocational rehabilitation support for workplace returnees. And in addition to the standing mental health consultation facilities operated by medical specialists and counsellors, also hosts periodic consultation sessions with occupational health physicians.
The DNP Group promotes the creation of workplaces where employees can work in a healthy and active manner that fuses Workstyle Innovation activities, making effective use of limited time resources and the promotion of workplace creation that leads to improved individual skills and value creation, with mental healthcare.
In May 2013, the Company established two new policies aimed at further promoting these activities under the support program for the creation of workplaces where employees can work in a healthy and active manner;
- Support for operational divisions that establish and implement systems that independently promote mental healthcare-related activities, and
- Support for the development of mechanisms, tools and educational activities etc. that do not stop at palliative responses to mental healthcare-related issues, but prevent them.
In concrete terms, from May 2013 the Company selected two model worksites, and under the support of occupational health physicians, consultants and headquarters staff, those worksites selected their own visions, extracted issues and drew up measures to promote activities that link workstyle Innovation with mental healthcare. Currently, the Company is aiming to spread the idea of the creation of workplaces where employees can work in a healthy and active manner through manager training at each worksite, and is also engaged in small group activities.
Looking ahead, the Company plans to expand the model worksite results and activities to the entire DNP Group.