DNP Develops Interactive E-Paper as POP
Colors and patterns change in line with consumer behaviors
Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) in conjunction with E Ink Holdings, Inc. (E Ink) has developed a new Point of Purchase (POP) advertising tool capable of changing colors and patterns in line with consumer behaviors.
This new interactive e-paper is based on Prism, the e-paper from E Ink, a leading global provider of e-paper. The new product reacts by changing colors or patterns when consumers pick up products standing close to the interactive e-paper, or pass their membership cards over it. By altering the displayed contents in line with consumer behavior, the new product is designed to boost the eye-catching effect, facilitating stronger product appeals to consumers.
The new POP advertising tool will be launched from April 2017.
[Summary and Features]
DNP and E Ink have been engaged in the joint development of a variety of sales promotion products based on e-paper that is both easy on the eyes, and operate with low power consumption. To date, such e-paper driven POP advertising tools have been adopted at commercial facilities, airports and railway stations.
In this latest development, a sensor has been attached to Prism e-paper, and a new interactive POP advertising tool created that alters colors and patterns in line with consumer behaviors.
- The new product is capable of changing colors and patterns when consumers pick up products standing close by, or when they pass their membership cards over the e-paper. By altering the displayed contents in line with consumer behaviors, the new product is designed to boost the eye catching effect, facilitating stronger product appeals to consumers.
- Prism was capable of producing red, green, dark blue and black color expressions, and light blue, yellow and brown have been added to the new interactive e-paper, totaling seven color expressions available.
- Looking ahead, the partners will also develop e-paper driven POP advertising tools capable of displaying optimal product selections for individual consumers, in line with the consumer attribute information stored in their IC cards.
- Prism is an e-paper that is easy on the eyes, and excels at expressing soft color tones and gradations. Power consumption is approximately 20% compared to currently available e-paper products, and as the new product can also operate with power cells, it can also be installed in a wider range of locations. The interactive e-paper can be easily viewed against reflected light, and requires no electrical power to retain its recorded images. The material maintains a low profile of 0.5mm, and is light and bendable, making it possible to apply to a variety of uses, including spatial expressions.
[Forward Looking Developments]
DNP will market the new POP advertising tool mainly to distribution and retail, financial and transportation companies, and will engage in global expansion beginning with the nations of Southeast Asia, such as Vietnam and Indonesia. The Company aims for sales of 2.0 billion yen in FY2020.
The new product will be displayed at the DNP booth at RETAIL TECH JAPAN2017, to be held at Tokyo Big Sight March 7-March 10, 2017.
As a new application for such interactive e-paper driven features, DNP also plans to develop Prism for interior material uses at offices, hotels, and commercial facilities, and will display a prototype at the DNP booth at JAPAN SHOP, which will be held concurrently with RETAIL TECH JAPAN2017.
* Product prices, specification and service contents mentioned in this news release are current as of the date of publication. They may be changed at any time without notice.
* Company and product names appearing in this release are the trademarks or registered trademarks of those companies.