DNP Develops Dedicated Consumer Terminal for Bank Account Opening and IC Cash Card Issuance
Supports increased efficiency at consumer contact points
Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd (DNP) has developed a dedicated consumer terminal prototype for use at banks that is capable of handling a variety of consumer operations, from the opening of accounts to the issuance of IC cash cards.
DNP has offered an on-the-spot IC cash card issuance terminal since 2010 that allows bank staff to operate the terminal on an in-houses basis and issue IC cash cards for their customers. As banks target increased operational efficiency at customer contact points, however, there are growing needs for a terminal that allows consumers the opportunity to issue cards, without the intervention of bank employees. In order to answer such needs, DNP has developed a dedicated consumer terminal prototype that is capable of handling a variety of consumer operations, from the opening of accounts to the issuing of IC cash cards.
- The terminal verifies the individual's identity by matching portrait photo data read off from Individual Number Cards or driving licenses, with portrait photo data taken by a camera built in to the terminal. As a result of this function it is now possible to perform the identity verification necessary for opening an account on a fully automated basis, leading to a reduction in the bank employee's workload.
- As data, such as names and addresses, necessary when opening a bank account or issuing an IC cash card can be automatically downloaded from Individual Number Cards or driving licenses, this removes the need to input the same on a manual basis.
- Installing the terminal at locations, such as ATM outlets, also allows consumers to perform such tasks as opening accounts or personalizing and receiving their IC cash cards outside normal banking hours.
- DNP plans to create dynamic links to applications used when opening bank accounts that also facilitate the forwarding of application forms and identity verification documentation when performing the same task with a smart phone. Once an application has been made to open an account using a smart phone, this function will then make it possible to receive IC cash cards at the bank merely by waving a smart phone over the terminal.
- Apart from card issuance, it is also possible to use the display screen as digital signage, making it possible to deliver a variety of guidance services and output business forms.
DNP will survey the functionality of the new prototype through marketing activities that include interviews with financial institution figures and consumers, aiming to launch the new service from around the summer of 2017.