DNP Develops Inbound QR Code System
Will provide multilingual display of the product information on smart phone screens
Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) has developed a new system that takes QR Codes1 (two-dimensional code) from product packages and displays them in a multilingual 3D format on smartphone screens.
At present, languages used in displaying product names and explanations include Chinese, English and French, which are mainly aimed at overseas visitors to Japan. The new system targets daily necessities and food manufacturers, and marketing activities will commence in February.
Almost 20 million overseas visitors arrived in Japan in 2015, making for a record year for tourism, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization, and spent in excess of 3 trillion yen per annum, or approximately $25 billion, according to the Japan Tourism Agency. The inbound tourist market is expected to undergo a further expansion.
At the same time, however, products displayed on store shelves in Japan generally display only Japanese language information, making it difficult for non-Japanese consumers to gain an understanding of the product features, and relevant safety issues. There is also a need to produce a system that allows overseas purchasers of Japanese goods to confirm usage instructions and product benefits after they have returned to their homes. In order to answer these needs, DNP has developed a system that takes the Japanese language QR Codes listed on products, and displays the relevant information in a multilingual 3D format on smart phone screens. The newly developed multilingual system puts DNP in a position to provide inbound services that can be used by overseas visitors to Japan in numerous commercial scenes, such as when considering purchasing decisions at retail outlets, and actual post-purchase use.
Product information and 3D data are registered on a dedicated server in multiple languages, including Chinese, English and French. Consumers, including overseas visitors, can read off the QR Code printed on the product packaging, or attached seals, using their smart phones. The newly developed system allows for the multilingual display of the product information in a 3D format on smart phone screens.
The products features of the newly developed system are as follows,
- Provides realistic experience for users reading off product information with their smart phones. By operating the smart phone's touch panels, it is possible to expand and shrink the image size, and revolve the package image.
- The new system makes it possible to confirm product information in multiple languages when actually using the product after the purchaser has returned to their home country.
- The pre-selected language will be automatically displayed on the smartphone screen, but this can be changed at any time.
- Apart from product information displayed on packaging, advertising slogans can also be displayed in each language, making it possible to boost the sales promotion effect.
[Forward Looking Events]
DNP will take the newly developed system and the Augmented Reality (AR) technology-driven system for displaying multilingual product package information on tablet terminal screens installed at retail outlets offered since September 2015, and market them to manufacturers of foods, daily necessities and cosmetics, aiming for 1.5 billion yen in sales by FY 2018.
1: QR Code is a registered trademark of Denso Wave Incorporated.
* DNP has positioned Knowledge and Communication, Food and Healthcare, the Environment and Energy, and Lifestyle and Mobility as growth areas to promote products and services that will become Tomorrow's Basics. DNP already offers a variety of services for inbound travelers, and looking ahead, the Company aims to provide a variety of new products and services, including guidance-based navigation systems, tablet terminal-based customer-support applications, and interpreter/operator guidance services.
* Product prices, specification and service contents mentioned in this news release are current as of the date of publication. They may be changed at any time without notice.