Principal Themes：Responsible Procurement
Responsible paper procurement
Paper is a raw material essential to the business continuity of the DNP Group. Up to this point we have actively proposed to our customers that they use thinned wood products or FSC-certified paper to contribute to the sustainable management of forest resources.
In FY2012, we established the Guidelines for Procurement of Paper for Printing and Converting which stipulate criteria related to transactions with companies from which we procure paper. In November we conducted a seminar to explain these guidelines to our paper suppliers, and we are carrying out procurement following these guidelines both domestically and internationally.
Together with our CSR Procurement Guidelines and green purchasing policy, our implementation of responsible paper procurement by working with suppliers helps to protect biodiversity.
DNP Group Guidelines for Procurement of Paper for Printing and Converting
To define the criteria that must be fulfilled under the DNP Group Biodiversity Declaration when procuring paper for printing or converting in order to further contribute to the sustainable use of forest resources.
To be applied by Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. and its Group companies ("DNP Group" below) when procuring paper for printing or converting ("paper" below).
3. Guidelines for Supplier Selection
The DNP Group will give precedence to companies that fulfill the following criteria when selecting suppliers from which to procure paper.
- Companies that have a defined policy regarding procurement of wood raw materials
- Companies that have established and are implementing a management system for verifying the legal compliance of wood raw materials
- Companies that are able to provide information regarding their pulp suppliers (information for verifying criteria under Guidelines for Paper Selection)
4. Guidelines for Paper Selection
Product selection in the procurement of paper will be based on the following guidelines.
- Give priority to forest-certified paper
- Strive to select paper made from a higher ratio of wood raw materials obtained in a way that fosters sustainability of forest resources
- Paper made of wood harvested according to sustainable forest management methods
- Paper with a higher deinked pulp content
- Paper made from scraps from sawn logs, low-grade wood, and/or forest thinning wood
- Paper that contains non-wood pulp
- Do not use paper made from wood raw materials that cannot be verified as legally compliant. (We verify that paper does not contain illegally harvested wood.)